Opcije pristupačnosti Pristupačnost

Before and upon arrival

Before coming to Pula

After processing your application, you will be issued an official Letter of Acceptance. This document is required for regulation of your visa or residence permit.


You will not need a visa for travelling within the EU if you are a citizen of an EU country, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.

Nationals of countries subject to the visa requirement also need to procure an entry visa for Croatia (Visa C). Information on countries subject to the visa requirement available on the web site of the Croatian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration. The visa application (Viza C) must be submitted to the diplomatic mission or consulate of the Republic of Croatia in the students’ home country. A list of missions and consulates is available on web site of the Croatian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration. EU/EEA citizens can enter Croatia with just a valid ID card (or passport) and then need to register at the Central police station if staying for more than 3 months to regulate the residence permit.

OIB number

According to the national legislation, foreign nationals intending to study in Croatia must regulate their residence.

The first step that you have to take is to get an OIB number. It is necessary for students entitled to student X-card and to non-EU students residing in Croatia more than 90 days for the purpose of regulation of obligatory health insurance with Croatian Institute for Health Insurance (HZZO).

In order to get an OIB number fill out the Application form and follow the INSTRUCTION TO REQUEST THE OIB NUMBER

Health insurance

General health care services can be accessed by selecting a primary health care physician, whereas health care on other levels (e.g. hospital, specialist examinations) can be accessed by way of a reference document (uputnica) issued by the selected physician.

Emergency service centers:

  • Dental care: Bartolomeo Dei Vitrei 13, tel.: 052/ 215 779
  • General Hospital Address: Zagrebačka 30, 52100 Pula and Aldo Negri 6, 52100 Pula, telephone: 052/376-000 and 052/376-500; In urgent cases, the emergency service phone number is 194.
  • Central Pharmacy: Giardini 14, 52 100 Pula, tel:052/222-544


Additional information regarding health insurance: 

  1. EU students are accessed by Health care services with valid European Health Insurance card.
  2. Non Eu-students are obligated to have insurance against illness, accidents, death and civil liability for the whole duration of the stay in Croatia. Regulated health insurance is the prerequisite for being granted temporary residence permit.

Countries with health care agreements with Croatia

The issue of health care for foreign, non EU-nationals, during their stay in Croatia through the signed agreements on social security is regulated with some countries. Students should contact their public health insurance provider prior arrival in Croatia in order to check if there is an agreement on social security signed with Croatia. 

If yes, students will obtain the certificate that enables them to receive health care in Croatia. Upon arrival in Pula, student should replace the certificate of healthcare entitlements with the patient’s certificate (in Croatian: bolesnički list) at the Croatian Institute for Health Insurance (HZZO - Hrvatski zavod za zdravstveno osiguranje). On presentation of the patient’s certificate, student may obtain healthcare services from any doctor or health institution who has a contract with the HZZO within the scope established by bilateral agreement, but are required to pay participation fee if that is foreseen for Croatian insurees.


Before arrival to our University, it is necessary to follow fee steps:

  1. VISA is required for countries outside of the European Union
  2. You need to have health insurance policy
  3. For registering your temporary stay you need following documents:
    1. Filled in Formu1a;
    2. One colored photography (35x45mm); 
    3. Passport and copy of first page (with photo)
    4. Proof of secured accommodation. Either lease agreement or statement of flat owner that he allows you’re staying in his flat (certified by notary public) with proprietary proof not older than 6 months
    5. Statement from Juraj Dobrila University of Pula about your acceptance.


Upon arrival to Pula

Residence permit

A residence permit is the prerequisite for issuing a transcript of records and letter of confirmation of the international students study period.

There are 2 types of residence permit, up to and more than 90 days. All students, except those with accommodation in student residence up to 90 days (regulated directly by the student residence), must report their stay in Croatia to the Central Police Station within 72 hours upon entering Croatia. 

The following documents must be presented with the application for temporary residence for studying:

  1. application form
  2. one color photograph 35x45 mm;
  3. administrative fee in the amount of 20 HRK (can be bought at all newsstands);
  4. valid passport and copy of the first page with the photograph;

The fee for temporary residence permit is 240 HRK. International students receiving a grant from the Croatian Ministry of Science, Education and Sports are exempted from this fee. The temporary residence permit is usually granted for the duration of one year or for the duration of the academic year. Temporary residence authorization is entered into the passport in the form of an adhesive label.

Students staying more than 90 days, upon arrival in Croatia apply for a short-term stay. After 89 days (at latest) of the short-term stay permit, all above listed documents for temporary residence application have to be presented at the police office. Students are strongly recommended to get all relevant original documents prior to arrival in Croatia. At the moment of application for a temporary residence, all documents should not be older than 6 months.

All original documents requested for temporary residence application must be officially translated into Croatian language. Approximate price of one sheet is around 20 euro.

All students, no matter the duration of staying in Croatia, must check with the local Croatian diplomatic mission: the obligatory validity of passport (in months) to be longer than the actual stay in Croatia, whether the need for an “apostille” of all original documents and certified translations exist.


Student ID Card (X-card)

Students who come to the Juraj Dobrila University of Pula (UNIPU) to study within some of the international exchange programs (Erasmus+, Ceepus), have all student rights as well as local students and the right to obtain a student card, the so-called x-card.

The student card is an official document with which the student proves the student’s status at the UNIPU. X-Card allows students cheaper prices in the student canteen, discounts on transportation, cinema tickets, restaurants, shops, etc.

X-Crad is issued by the Office for Students and Educational Programs in cooperation with the Office for Partnerships and Projects.
Each student uploads to the Application Form:

  • photo of the face – 300x300 pixels in jpg format
  • picture of the signature – 400x70 pixels in jpg format with a black marker on white paper

A temporary student ID card can be requested after the previous conditions have been satisfied.

When issuing a temporary student card, the student will receive an invoice for the issuance of the X-Card ~8,00€. The student is obliged to send a confirmation of payment for the issued invoice to the e-mail: international.office@unipu.hr.

In case a student loses a temporary student ID card, the student is obliged to inform the Office for Partnership and Projects by e-mail (international.office@unipu.hr).

The student ID card arrives at the UNIPU within a minimum of three weeks from the issuance of the temporary ID card. The collection of the card is organized by the Office for Partnerships and Projects, and each student will be notified of the collection by e-mail.

The conditions for taking a student ID card are:

  • paid invoice for issuing a student ID card,
  • returning the temporary student ID card.

In case of loss of the student ID card, the student cannot prove his/her status and it is necessary to inform the Office for Partnership and Projects via e-mail (international.office@unipu.hr) in order to create for the student a new student ID card.


ISIC (International Student Identity Card)

The ISIC card is the only internationally accepted proof of bona fide student status.

The ISIC card allows students the world over to prove their official student status and make the most of thousands of targeted student benefits and discounts in over 130 countries/territories.

The ISIC card has been endorsed by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) since 1968.  The card is recognised by universities, academic institutions, student unions, national governments, financial institutions and ministries of education around the world.

All students can make ISIC card on the official web page. On the attached link student can get all necessary information about card and benefits. 

This card is not connected to the Juraj Dobrila University of Pula so the procedure of issuing one is up to student (not University).


Language Requirements

The lectures at the Juraj Dobrila University of Pula are held in Croatian, except for the study programs of foreign languages where the lectures are held in relevant language.

In addition, the University of Pula offers the possibility of teaching in English for the students who do not speak Croatian (mainly through the consulting hours). The University of Pula requires that the student has very good language skills (in reading, writing and speaking) equivalent to level B2 on the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) scale.

More information on the CEFR scale could be found on this site:

No particular concessions will be given to students whose level of English is lower than the expected levels mentioned below. How to prove the language skills: 

All students have to fill in English Language Proficiency form.

Upon arrival the incoming student has to pass the language proficiency test (Croatian, English or other) and if the student's language skills are not equivalent to level B2 on the CEFR* scale the University will make the final decision if this student is accepted or not. The students who submit English Language Proficiency form are exempt from testing.